More and more, technology is based around everything that society does. We can buy goods from anywhere in the world. We can order groceries with the touch of a button. The use of technology is endless, but it is not always better. Ordering cars online is driving car salesmen out of business. Online shipping is decreasing the need for storefronts. Insurance is no different. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of online insurance sources, but, like everything else, there are pros and cons. Let’s take a look at the pros of buying insurance online versus buying your insurance through an independent agent.
Pros of Buying Insurance Online:
- You can purchase insurance in the comfort of your own home with no time obligations. Gone are the days of 9 to 5 business hour constraints to purchase something. You can get your insurance without talking to anybody and you have no time limit of getting it done.
- Online insurance can be faster. By not going through an insurance agent, it might be faster because you know your needs better than anybody and you wouldn’t have to explain it to another person.
Pros of Independent Agent:
- Coverage Gaps. By having an agent to help you with your insurance, there won’t be vital coverage missing from the policy, opposed to going through online sources where you would be writing the policy yourself. Without an agent, there is no one to go back to if there is an error in your policy.
- When businesses and families grow, coverages need to change as well. Independent agents are here to help you when you need us most. It can be a pain to get new coverage to compensate for the new growth with online insurance. Custom quotes are difficult to set up, especially if you don’t know exactly what you need. When some type of growth is happening, it can be very chaotic. By using an independent agent, we can write a new policy while you are busy dealing with everything else that comes with expansion.
- Insurance agents are knowledgeable when it comes to insurance, allowing you to get the coverage you need and not pay for things that you don’t. Using online carriers won’t save you any money because you aren’t going through someone else. The premium doesn’t change for the commission rate of the insurance agent. Rather than lowering the rates, the online carriers keep the money that would be going to the agent as commission.
- Building a relationship with your insurance agent. By using online insurance agencies, you cannot build a relationship with an agent. Having a solid relationship with your agent allows for the agent to know exactly what you need. In the end, this saves you money and time.
- All online shopping poses cyber security risks and privacy concerns and insurance is no exception. Online insurance sources can collect sensitive information that can be passed onto 3rd party organizations. Independent agents use secure networks that are never given to third party organizations.
- Better Rates. Remember, online websites choose what they want you to see. While some sources allow you to compare rates, they aren’t always better rates. Our job as insurance agents is to help you get the best coverage for the best price. We are here to find the sweet spot. We look at different quotes through different carriers to find the best deal.
- Help when filing a claim. If something were to happen, there is no one to help you file a claim with online insurance carriers. When filing a claim, our agents are here to answer questions and give advice.
- We are local and available. Using online carriers can be extremely difficult if you need help figuring out what is covered or if you need help filing a claim. It can be very difficult to talk to someone on the phone and there are not physical locations you can visit to get help and ask questions. In the slim chance that you can get on the phone with a representative, you will most likely be on hold for a long time before actually speaking to someone. By using a local agent, not only will you have less questions because you wouldn’t be filling everything out yourself, but for the questions that you do have, there is always someone you can talk to, either by calling, emailing, or coming into the office.
- If buying insurance online, there is a good chance that you may not be the most experienced with insurance and don’t have that prior knowledge that is needed. Using an independent agent is especially helpful because they know everything that is needed to write a quote and get you the coverage you need.
All-in-all, while it may seem better to go through online insurance carriers, there are underlying dangers that come by using those sources. Coverage gaps can be especially dangerous because if something were to happen and you are not completely covered, the out-of-pocket expenses that would need to be paid are astronomically high. Cyber security is also another major threat. Many online carriers gather your sensitive information and sell it to 3rd party organizations. By using an independent insurance agent, you can skip the worry and hassle of doing it yourself. To get started, give us a call today!